Hello Readers! Welcome to Humornation. It’s so much disheartening to believe that one of the greatest actors of Indian cinema Irrfan Khan is no more. Irrfan has done some of the best critically acclaimed movies of India and of Hollywood, and his acting is loved by people around the world. He will always be enlisted as one of the gems produced by India and will be counted in our memories. On this day, I would like to write some interesting facts from his past life and career and rejoice in his memories.
Here are some interesting facts about the gem of Indian cinema – Irrfan Khan:
1. He was born in a Royal family of Jaipur:
Irrfan Khan was born on 7th January 1967 in the pink city of Jaipur, Rajasthan to a Muslim Pathan family, and his father, Jagirdar Khan was from the village near Tonk district and his mother Begum Khan belonged to the Tonk Hakim family. The Royal family of Irrfan Khan run a tire business. But later, he wanted to earn money with his own hard work and skills.
2. His real name/full name is Sahabzade Irrfan Ali Khan:
The Padma Shree actor who we know as Irrfan Khan has a full name given to him by his family and it is “Sahabzade Irrfan Ali Khan”. After knowing the full name, he sure seems like an actor from a Royal Pathan family with a royal name.
3. Education and early life of Irrfan:
Bollywood was never a planned choice of Irrfan, he initially wanted to play cricket. However, he wasn’t supported by his parents for cricket. While doing his M.A. degree, he luckily got a scholarship in the National School of Drama (NSD) of 1984 and did his diploma in arts from NSD.
4. His initial life in the city of dreams Mumbai:
The first job Irrfan did in the city of Mumbai was repairing air-conditioners and it is said that the first house he visited for repairing the A/C was of Rajesh Khanna, what a stroke of luck. His first movie was Salaam Bombay in which he debuted in 1988 in his final year of NSD, but unfortunately, his role was shortened due to height issues.
5. He wanted to give up acting once:
At a point in his life, he started to feel that his life and roles were becoming very monotonous and he was majorly doing some television shows and none of his movies were getting any success and this is when he decided to give up acting leave his acting career. But he was cast in a film – The Warrior by Asif Kapadia became successful and this was the time of the instant moment of fame which made him famous.
6. About his personal self:
His name has an additional “r” and it is not just a common style, but actually he changed his name in 2012 by adding an additional “r” because he liked the sound of it. He is also one of the tallest actors in the industry. With a height of 6’1, he very well fits in the category of Amitabh Bachchan and the likes.
7. He refused Interstellar offered to him by Christopher Nolan:
It is definitely a great fact that he was offered a substantial amount of role in the movie Interstellar directed by Nolan but Irrfan Khan refused the offer for this movie. He did this because he was already committed and was working on his projects Lunch Box and D Day which he was to prioritize.
8. When his name got trouble for him:
Irrfan Khan was once detained at the USA airport and the reason for this detainment was very simple – just like Shahrukh Khan had to wait at the airport for hours, both of their names matched the names of terrorists. This is the same country wherein Hollywood, he has done Oscar-winning movies like Slumdog Millionaire, Life of Pi, Jurrasic world, etc.
9. The success of the movie Lunchbox:
Remember why he turned down the offer of the Hollywood movie Interstellar directed by Christopher Nolan? Its because he was concentrated on his movie – Lunchbox. Irrfan’s Lunchbox was one of the very few Indian movies to have won the Grand Rail d’Or Award at the Cannes Film Festival. This was in the year 2013.
10. List of Awards he got in his lifetime:
- National Film Award for the best actor in the 60th National Film Awards 2012 and a Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor for his role in the movie Paan Singh Tomar.
- In 2014 he won the Asian Film Award for Best Actor.
- He has won three International Indian Film Academy Awards, three Filmfare Awards, and an Independent Spirit Award nomination.
- The latest award in his kitty being the Filmfare Award for Best Actor for the movie Hindi Medium in 2017.
- And of course, in the year 2011, Irrfan Khan received the Padma Shri, fourth highest civilian honor in India, for his contribution to the field of arts.