Welcome back to Humor Nation. Everyone is well aware that The Vampire Diaries is based on the book series of the same name which are written by LJ Smith. Interestingly, the books were published in the early 1990s. It was proposed that the books be adapted into a TV show, but it didn’t happen until 2009. The show’s co-creator Kevin Williamson initially wasn’t much excited about adapting the books as he felt them to be too similar with the Twilight. But when he read the books after the Plec urged him to experience the books, he discovered they are different from the Twilight, and there’s a story to tell. The town of Mystic Falls is plagued with different sorts of Supernatural threats and there’s more to know about the characters than what meets the eye. Well, everyone is well familiar with the characters on the show, but you would be surprised to know that the book versions of these characters differ significantly.
So Take A Look At The Vampire Diaries Characters And Their Book Counterparts
- Let’s start with the titular character of Elena Gilbert. Her name remains same in the TV adaptation. She is also the lead character in both the books and show.
- The love triangle with the Salvatore also is somewhat similar in both the books and show.
- In the books, Elena studied at the Robert E. Lee High School whereas in the show she was a student at the Mystic Falls High School.
- She returns as an angel in the books after her first demise. Whereas she was never an angel on the show.
- The name of his biological parents are Isobel Flemming & John Gilbert and her adoptive parents are Miranda and Grayson Gilbert, but in the books her parents are Thomas and Elizabeth Gilbert. She has a small sister named Margaret Gilbert whereas in the show she has a brother named Jeremy Gilbert.
- In the books, she turned into a vampire after receiving majority of blood from Stefan and some from Damon. Whereas in the show, she turned into a vampire after passing away with the blood of Damon.
- In the books, she is mean, selfish, and the popular Queen bee whereas the show version is pretty reserved, compassionate, and insecure. The appearances are also different in the book and Vampire Diaries show.
BONNIE BENNETT/BONNIE MCCULLOUGH
Bonnie is a witch and one of the best friends of Elena. She has a compassionate and caring personality.
The last name of Bonnie is Mccullough in the books whereas it is changed to Bennett. While the Bonnie in the books has a Scottish American heritage whereas Bonnie in the show is African American. Her book and TV appearances are also different. She has red hair & hazel brown eyes in the books whereas she has black hair and greenish eyes in the show. Bonnie and Damon are love interest in the books whereas they are friends in the show. Bonnie in the books is somewhat fragile whereas the TV version is pretty strong. In the books, she is a psychic and came from a long line of druids whereas she is a powerful witch whose ancestors hailed from Salem.
- He is cold, ruthless, and could cross any limit to get what he wants.
- Klaus is an ancient ‘old’ one who existed long before the existence of the Pyramids, he was never a human. Elena Gilbert becomes the reason of his demise. Whereas Klaus was born a human and becomes an Original Vampire. There is no Mikaelson Family.
- Klaus in the books has a Nordic appearance and he wears a long coat whereas Klaus in the TV show is pretty different.
TURN TO NEXT PAGE